Scouting for Food is an annual food collection orchestrated by Scouts from National Capital Area Council. Local Scouts distribute plastic bags to homes across the region and return to pick up the bags, now filled with food, one week later. Collected food is distributed to needy families throughout the communities of the Council.
Cub Scout packs, Boy Scout troops, Venturing crews and Sea Scout ships throughout the Council will be distributing Scouting for Food donation bags in local neighborhoods. They return to collect those bags one week later.
Bags Distributed- November 1
Bags Collected- November 8
Click here to report results!
Throughout the week, Scouts can also set up collection sites at Safeway stores in their neighborhood. Click here for Safeway Request Form.
Click Here for Video from WSA9!
Not sure what you should donate? According to our friends at Capital Area Food Bank, some of the most highly needed items are:
- Non-perishable food items
- Canned protein (tuna, salmon, chicken, peanut butter)
- Soups & stews (beef stew, chili, meat-based soups)
- 100% fruit juices (all sizes)
- Grains (pasta, whole grain pasta, rice, brown rice, boxed macaroni & cheese)
- Cereals (multi grain, low sugar such as cheerios, cornflakes, raisin bran, grape nuts, oatmeal)
- Canned vegetables
- Canned fruits
- Hygiene products (diapers, toilet paper, tissues, soap, toothpaste